The Centre for Adoption Support & Education (The Centre) is a registered charity which provides post-adoption support to families living in the south west of England.
Based in Bristol, highly trained staff provide specialist services that are tailored to the needs of each adoptive family. From one-to-one intensive work to advocacy, peer support and group activities, The Centre is a hub of expertise, information and support for the whole family as they learn to deal with the complexities of adoption.
The Centre works closely with its sister charity, CCS Adoption, which is a specialist adoption agency with over 110 years’ experience of finding permanent, loving families for children who need them. Families are able to transition seamlessly from CCS to The Centre for post-adoption support and the team also work with other adoptive families from across the region.
The adopted child and their family need to find a way through challenging situations and the team at The Centre is there to help them every step of the way. The Centre, rated outstanding by Ofsted in a recent inspection, delivers a range of activities for adoptive families as well as professionals including:
- workshops for parents on topics such as the transition from Primary to Secondary school
- a weekly After School Club to promote social development and relationship skills
- one-to-one Yoga for Attachment sessions to support the parent/child bond and build trust, confidence and self-esteem
- a weekly Toddler Group for children aged 0-4 and their parents to promote and enable parent/child attachment. The sessions also give children an opportunity to mix in a safe environment with other adopted children and for parents to gain both expert support from our team and peer support from other parents.
- workshops for adoption professionals so they can support adoptive families more effectively
- holiday activities which support the family through the sometimes challenging holiday period.
Who can use The Centre?
The Centre welcomes ALL families who have adopted or who are fostering as well as families with children placed for adoption who are not yet adopted.
Taken from the Ofsted Report 2015
"The agency is highly effective in providing positive experiences that promote the development of strong bonds between adopters and their children. Adoptive families recognise the value of the support provided.
They report that it has been extremely influential in building attachment and preventing family breakdown where children have complex and challenging needs. The agency is particularly responsive to, and works extremely well with partner agencies and adopters, using their views to develop and improve the delivery of the service."
"Dynamic service where experts deliver innovative and up-to-date research-based training and workshops for professionals and adoptive families."
Click on the above logo to read the full report.
How to get in touch